This delicious creamy spread made of chickpeas, tahini, and lemon juice is a favourite in the Middle East and particularly in Lebanon, where it originates. Homemade hummus is so much easier to make than people think, and we can promise you that it’s almost always better than store-bought!
Dietary: Vegetarian, Egg-free. Contains sesame seeds, May contain soya and peanuts.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 0
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp zero fat Greek yoghurt
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ice cube
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ a large Lebanese pita bread, wholemeal
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Once done, spread the hummus onto a flat plate and serve with half a Lebanese pita bread.
This recipe has been donated by Tamara Rammal
Per serving: (includes ½ large pita bread)
Total calories: 161 kcal
Fat: 6.2 g
Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
Carbohydrate: 15.0 g
Total sugar: 1.2 g
Fibre: 4.2 g
Protein: 8.6 g
Salt: 0.15 g
- Instead of traditionally using olive oil in the recipe, low-fat Greek yoghurt was used to reduce caloric and fat content.
- This recipe is a good source of fibre and protein.
- A plant-based Greek yoghurt can be used to make this vegan.
- Gluten-free bread can be used to make this suitable for those with gluten intolerance.