A family biscuit recipe with a crispy texture forming the outside. It is one of my best treats with a cup of tea for the afternoon.
Serves: 34- 36 biscuits
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30- 35 minutes
1 cup of wholegrain flour
1 cup of plain flour
3 Tbsp coconut sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp yoghurt
2 tsp anise
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 tsp vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 160 – 180ºC.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, coconut sugar, yoghurt and vinegar until a creamy texture.
- Then add the oil and continue mixing.
- Add the flour, anise and baking powder gradually into the creamy mixture. Mix together.
- Pour the batter into a baking tray or loaf pan.
- Bake in the lower tray at 160 – 180oC for around 20 – 25 minutes.
- Leave it to cool, cut it into slices and place it flat side down again on the baking tray to toast in the oven for extra 5 – 7 minutes, depending on your oven heat and your personal preferences in terms of the toasting level.
- Leave it to cool down. Now you can enjoy it with a cup of tea.
This recipe has been donated by Nourhan Barakat, Registered Associate Nutritionist
Total calories: 53 kcal
Fat: 2.1 g
Saturated Fat: 0.0 g
Carbohydrate: 6.4 g
Total sugar: 1.2 g
Fibre: 0.6 g
Protein: 1.8 g
Salt: 0.0 g
Using whole grain flour raises the fibre content, while other ingredients contribute other vitamins such as vitamin D and E.
If you like to try it with a fruit flavour, then add orange zest to the batter.
© 2020 The Caroline Walker Trust