Apple cake is one of the most traditional homemade cakes for many cultures and a perfect snack. Soft and with contrasting textures, this recipe is so simple and quick that can be done by children with the help of an adult.
Serves: 10 servings
Dietary: Vegetarian, nut-free, peanut-free, soya-free
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
200 g flour
16 g baking powder
1/2 glass milk (120 ml) (dairy or unsweetened alternative)
20 g melted butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
80 g sugar
- Preheat the oven at 175o C.
- In a bowl whisk together the dried ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder).
- Add to the dried ingredients the egg, milk, butter or olive oil and whisk until the dough is smooth.
- Chop the apples in small pieces and mix with the dough.
- Pour the dough in the tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for around 40 minutes at 175o C.
This recipe has been donated by Francesca Straniero, Registered Associate Nutritionist.
Total calories: 146 kcal
Fat: 1.3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Carbohydrate: 30 g
Total sugar: 12 g
Free sugar: 6 g
Fibre: 1.4 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Salt: 0.62 g
This version has a reduced content of sugar thanks to the naturally sweet apples and is low in fat, compared to the traditional recipes available.
- Gluten-free version: substitute wheat flour with rice flour or any certified gluten-free flour and use gluten-free baking powder.
- Lactose-free version: substitute dairy milk with rice/almond/soy milk and substitute butter with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
© 2020 The Caroline Walker Trust