This deliciously healthy seeded sourdough sandwich contains lemon and coriander roast chicken, avocado, and sweet chilli mayo slaw made from red onions and carrots.
Serves: 30 finger sandwiches,
Dietary: Milk-free, egg-free,
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
380 g chicken, boneless breasts, no skin
¼ cup lemon juice
3 Tbsp coriander, finely chopped
½ tsp turmeric, powder
¼ tsp black pepper, powder
1½ cups carrots, grated
2 small red onions, finely sliced
1 Tbsp coriander, finely chopped
4 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise (mustard)
1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce (may contain sesame, tree nuts and peanuts)
10 slices seeded sourdough bread (wheat, gluten, milk)
1 avocado, sliced
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the lemon juice, coriander, turmeric powder, and black pepper.
- Make deep slits in the chicken breast.
- Add the chicken to the marinade and mix well – massage the marinade in the slits.
- Marinade for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Once marinated, pre-heat the oven at 180 oC/160 oC/Gas Mark 4.
- Roast for 25 minutes – turn the chicken halfway through.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots and red onions together.
- Add the mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce, mix well.
- Cut the roasted chicken into slices.
- Layer the slaw on one slice of bread.
- Layer the sliced avocado on the slaw.
- Finally, layer the chicken on the avocado.
- Cover with the other slice of bread and cut into 1’inch finger strips.
- Cut the crusts off the bread to make square slices.
This recipe has been donated by Jatin Kumar
Per serving: Per Finger
Total calories: 73 kcal
Fat: 3.6 g
Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
Carbohydrate: 5.8 g
Total sugar: 1.3 g
Fibre: 0.9 g
Protein: 4.1 g
Salt: 0.18 g
- Some research has found that seeded sourdough bread may promote gut health, which may benefit prediabetics, as good gut health helps control and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Sourdough bread has also been found by some researchers to be much easier to digest and may have a lower glycaemic index.
- Chicken is an excellent source of protein. The chicken was roasted without oil to keep the calorie content low to help weight management.
- Avocado consists of good fatty acids like oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid that helps reduce cholesterol levels and increase HDL levels.
- Vegan mayonnaise contains no cholesterol due to no eggs being used as an emulsifier, lower amounts of saturated fat and fewer calories.
- Use rye or wholegrain bread.
- Use normal mayonnaise.
- Instead of chicken, you can use falafels to make the sandwich vegetarian.
- Can use meat alternatives to make it vegan.