Known in Italy as “Pizza bruschetta”, this is a valid alternative to the classic pizza slice, which is usually high in fat and salt.
Dietary: Vegetarian, egg-free, soya-free
Preparation time: less than 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Toast the slices of bread on both sides.
- Place the toasted bread on a tray lined with baking paper.
- On the top of the toasted bread, spread 1 teaspoon of plain tomato sauce and add the small pieces of mozzarella cheese and herbs.
- Turn on the oven grill and bake for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Add fresh basil and serve.
This recipe has been donated by Francesca Straniero, Registered Associate Nutritionist
Total calories: 267 kcal
Fat: 10.0 g
Saturated Fat: 5.9 g
Carbohydrate: 29 g
Total sugar: 2.8
Free sugar: 0 g
Fibre: 1.6 g
Protein: 14 g
Salt: 0.85 g
Sourdough bread has a low glycemic index compared with many other types of bread. This means it is more slowly digested with a slower release of carbohydrate and therefore doesn’t raise the blood glucose as quickly. Also, the acidity of sourdough is thought to inhibit the formation of phytates that binds to some minerals, such as Calcium and Iron, affecting their absorption.
- For gluten-free version use gluten-free bread or slice an aubergine (form the short length) and grilled over a pan for few minutes. When cooked pour on top of the slices some tomato sauce and the small cubes of mozzarella cheese.
© 2020 The Caroline Walker Trust