Who is not a toast lover? Bread is one of the most versatile foods and perfects when we have little to no time to cook. This quick recipe is an easy way to include more legumes in your diet.
Serves: 4 (half slice each)
Dietary: Vegetarian, egg-free, soya-free
Preparation time: 20 minutes
2 thick slices of sourdough bread, rye or brown
2 large carrots
1/2 glass water
1 can of chickpeas,
1 tsp smoked paprika
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp tahini
3 – 4 Tbsp water
1. Peel and wash the carrots.
2. Cut the carrots into thin slices.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add the carrots and 1/2 glass of water.
4. Cover and cook the carrots until soft, then add a pinch of salt.
1. Drain the chickpeas and wash well.
2. In a large container blend together the drained chickpeas, smoked paprika, salt, tahini, 1Tbsp olive oil and add water when needed.
3. Blend until smooth.
Create your toast
1. Toast your bread slices on a pan.
2. Spread the hummus on top of the bread and add the carrots.
3. For more fibre and flavour you can add a handful of fresh spinach.
This recipe has been donated by Francesca Straniero, Registered Associate Nutritionist
Total calories: 248 kcal
Fat: 11.0 g
Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
Carbohydrate: 26.0 g
Total sugar: 4.7 g
Free sugar: 0 g
Fibre: 6.3 g
Protein: 7.5 g
Salt: 0.5 g
© 2021 The Caroline Walker Trust